Some of the trends impacting the women adventure travel industry in the US are; women’s solo travels on the rise, cultural experiences and girlfriend getaways.
Also, we have other high-level overview reports where we explored Women Adventure Travel Industry Overview and Case Studies and Travel Industry Trends. Feel free to check them out.
Trend #1: The Rise In Women’s Solo Travels
- Women have become financially independent enough to travel to places of their choices, just to have adventures that promote learning and self-discovery.
- According to Guy Young, Chief Engagement Officer at The Travel Corporation USA, solo travel has grown in popularity, and hence, impacting positively on the growth of the industry.
- In 2017, solo women travel increased by 32%. In 2018, it increased by 59% and by 230% in 2019.
- Around 76% of travelers, including women, indicate that they are considering traveling alone or have already done it.
- Overseas Adventure Travel is a company that has already incorporated this trend, where 47% of its travelers are registered as solo. 85% of these solo travelers are women.
Trend #2: Cultural Experiences
- The percentage of travelers seeking out cultural experiences over sandy beaches has continued to increase with no signs of slowing down. Between 2017 and 2018, the travelers increased by 59%.
- By becoming interested in their local experiences, women are looking for genuine immersion with the local culture of their destination. Due to this reason, many women are opting to support ethical travel organizations by even volunteering to work for the companies with same values as them.
- Women want opportunities to bond with places, connect with locals as well as to interact with each other.
- Women travelers are not only seeking a vacation to be pampered but also for immersive experiences and cultural encounters.
- According to Gutsy Traveler, about 75% of individuals that embark on cultural travels are women.
- An example of a company that has incorporated this trend is AdventureWomen which allows one to connect with fellow-travelers as well as bridging cultural differences with people living in the places visited.
Trend #3: Girlfriend Getaways
- Women who are not comfortable traveling alone are forming small groups with other women or their daughters, just to have the adventure experiences.
- Research shows that these girlfriend getaways bring in over $200 million every year. This particular market accounts for 4% of travel spending in the United States. In the last three years (ending 2019), 24% of women in the United States have experienced a girlfriend getaway.
- Resorts, hotels and destinations in the US are making extra efforts to appeal to the girlfriend getaway market since it represents a very profitable niche.
- Elite Travel is an example of a company that has embraced this trend.