How much is spent on programmatic ad spending annually in the US, and what percentage of that is from display ads?
According to eMarketer, $68.47 billion would be spent on programmatic advertising in the United States by the end of 2020.
Annual Spending and the Percentage of Programmatic Spending from Display Ads
- According to the recent update by eMarketer on the US programmatic ad spending, $68.47 billion would be spent on programmatic advertising by 2020, which is 85% of the total digital display ad spending in the United States.
- About $57.30 billion was spent on programmatic advertising in 2019, which is 83.5% of the US digital display ad spending. The 2018 annual spend on programmatic advertising was $46.05 billion. This was 81.2% of the total digital display ad spend. The annual spend in 2016 was $25.48 billion, representing 73.0% of the total digital display ad spending in the US, while $35.46 billion was spent in 2017, which is 78.5% of the total spending from digital display ads.
- Also, eMarketer has forecasted that about 86.5% of all “US digital display ad dollars” will transact programmatically by 2021, which equates to $79.75 billion.
How many internet users are there and how many internet connected devises are there?
There were 4.57 billion internet users around the world in July 2020, which makes 59% of the world population. In the United States, 87% of the population, or 288.1 million people were internet users in January 2020. The number of internet-connected devices is expected to grow from 21.97 billion in 2018 to 38.6 billion in 2025.
Internet Users Worldwide
- According to DataReportal, there were 4.57 billion internet users worldwide as of July 2020.
- The latest data indicates that there were 346 million new internet users from July 2019 to July 2020, which makes an average of around 950,000 new users every day.
- In the United States, there were 288.1 million internet users as of Jan 2020. The number of users increased by 1.8 million or 0.6% from 2019 to 2020, while internet penetration was 87% in Jan 2020.
- According to Strategy Analytics, there were 21.97 billion internet-connected devices globally by the end of 2018, and the number is expected to grow to 38.6 billion in 2025.
- The largest segment in 2018 was Enterprise IoT (10.06 billion), which made over half of the total internet-connected devices, followed by smartphones (3.47 billion) and smart home devices (2.6 billion)
To obtain information about the total number of internet users and the number of internet-connected devices, we first searched various databases such as Statista, Our World in Data, and Digital Nation Data Explorer. We then scanned industry reports including DataReportal, GlobalWebIndex, IoT Analytics, and news articles, and publications such as Wired, Business Insider, Forbes, and others. Unfortunately, after reviewing all the previously mentioned pages, we found that these sources mostly provided the number of IoT devices across the world and its future estimates, but none provided recent data about the number of internet-connected devices. Therefore, we included the most recent report compiled by Strategy Analytics in May 2019, which also includes a breakdown of internet-connected devices by type and also the past data and future estimates.
Digital Data Statistics
According to recent studies, the volume of digital data and mobile data generated worldwide is approximately 59 zettabytes and 489 exabytes per year in 2020.
Digital Data Statistics
- An International Data Corporation (IDC) study in 2018 predicts that the amount of worldwide digital data generated per year will be 175 zettabytes (ZB) by 2025.
- The technology research and consulting firm estimates that the volume of digital data was 33 zettabytes in 2018.
- The study demonstrates that the figure represents the volume of digital data generated from cloud data centers, branch offices, PCs, traditional data centers, smartphones, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- The 175 zettabytes represent a 61% increase in worldwide volume from 33 zettabytes in 2018.
- A recent update to IDC’s Global DataSphere predicts that about 59 zettabytes of digital data will be generated this year (2020).
- Statista Research Department predicts about 40.77 exabytes of global mobile digital data per month or roughly 489 exabytes per year (multiplied by 12) in 2020.
The research team searched through statistical databases and market research reports to determine the amount of digital data and mobile data generated annually in the world. Since 2007, IDC has released a report; on behalf of EMC Corp, illustrating the volume of digital data generated each year. Statista Research Department has also published a report demonstrating the volume of mobile digital data generated each year. We used these reports to provide the amount of digital data and mobile data generated annually in the world.