We have identified ten experts who are known for their contributions to research on fasting or are clinical experts in fasting. An overview of why we have selected each individual, the institution/business that they are affiliated with, qualifications, and information on their research related to fasting has been outlined below.
Dr. Michael Klaper
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Michael Klaper is a clinician, author, leading educator on diet and health as well as an internationally renowned expert on reversing disease with plant-based nutrition and medically supervised water fasting. He has gained his expertise in water fasting from his 9 years of experience at True North Health Center.
- Institution and/or business: Dr. Klaper is a part of the Advisory Board for the Plantrician Project and the “International Journal of Disease Reversal and Prevention.” From 2009-2018 he had served on staff at the TrueNorth Health Center which specializes in therapeutic water fasting.
- Related research and qualifications: among other works he has published a journal article titled “Water-only fasting and an exclusively plant foods diet in the management of stage IIIa, low-grade follicular lymphoma.” He has graduated from the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
Dr. Sergey Filonov
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Sergey Filonov is a medical doctor and dry fasting expert from Russia who has been using dry fasting in his clinical practice for 25 years.
- Related research and Qualifications: The English translation of Dr. Filonov’s book is titled “Dry Medical Fasting: Myths and Reality.” Information on the institution/business that Dr. Filonov is affiliated with and his qualifications were not publicly available through English/translated sources. However, some relevant information may be found here.
FASTING FOR WOMEN
Dr. Amy Hutchison
- Expertise in fasting: Since completing her PhD., Dr. Amy Hutchison has focused her research work on identifying how modified meal patterns such as intermittent fasting and time-restricted improves the health of at-risk individuals. Some of her research work focuses on obese women and intermittent fasting.
- Institution and/or business: She is the lead author from the University of Adelaide and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI).
- Related research and Qualifications: Her research includes “Intermittent fasting does not uniformly impact genes involved in circadian regulation in women with obesity” and “Markers of adipose tissue inflammation are transiently elevated during intermittent fasting in women who are overweight or obese. She obtained her Ph.D. in gastrointestinal physiology and appetite regulation from the University of Adelaide.
FASTING AND FITNESS
Dr. Brian Carson
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Brian Carson’s work is focused on the plasticity and metabolic adaptation of skeletal muscle in response to exercise and its impact from interaction with nutrition. He is also a leading expert on the effects of exercising in a fasted state.
- Institution and/or business: Dr. Carson is an Exercise Physiologist in the Physical Education and Sport Sciences department at the University of Limerick.
- Related research and Qualifications: his research includes “Effects of fasted vs fed-state exercise on performance and post-exercise metabolism: A systematic review and meta-analysis”. He has a Ph.D. from the Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology.
Dr. Javier Gonzalez
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Javier Gonzalez’s research focuses on understanding diet-exercise interactions in health and disease. He has published 85 peer-reviewed articles including research on fasting and has received the Julie Wallace Award 2018 by the Nutrition Society in recognition of his work.
- Institution and/or business: he is an Associate Professor at the Department for Health, University of Bath.
- Related research and Qualifications: his research includes “Pre-Exercise Breakfast Ingestion versus Extended Overnight Fasting Increases Postprandial Glucose Flux after Exercise in Healthy Men: Pre-exercise feeding and postprandial glucose flux.” Dr. Gonzalez has a Ph.D. in Human Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism and a post-doctoral fellowship in collaboration with the University of Maastricht and Newcastle University.
Dr. Wan Azdie Mohd Abu Bakar
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Wan Azdie’s main research interest is nutrition, with a focus on public health issues including food security, obesity, and also nutrition education. He has also published research related to fasting.
- Institution and/or business: he is an Associate Professor at the Department of Nutrition Sciences, International Islamic University Malaysia.
- Related research and Qualifications: one of his research articles is titled “Does religious fasting affect cognitive performance?” He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from University Kebangsaan Malaysia and a Ph.D. from Australia.
INFLAMMATION AND FASTING
Dr. Miriam Merad
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Merad has authored more than 170 primary papers and was the lead author of a study that found that intermittent fasting reduced the release of pro-inflammatory cells called “monocytes” in blood circulation.
- Institution and/or business: She is a professor in Cancer Immunology and the Director of the Precision Immunology Institute at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
- Related research and Qualifications: among her research is “Dietary intake regulates the circulating inflammatory monocyte pool.” She has a Ph.D. from Stanford University and University Paris VII and is a Postdoctoral Fellow from Stanford University.
FASTING FOR CIRCADIAN RHYTHM RESET
Dr. Charles A Czeisler
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Czeisler’s research is focused on understanding the neurobiology of the human circadian pacemaker and its interaction with the sleep homeostat. He has conducted research related to fasting and circadian rhythm reset.
- Institution and/or business: he is the Baldino Professor of Sleep Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Chief of the Division of Sleep Medicine in the Department of Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
- Related research and Qualifications: he has a research article titled “Fasting blood triglycerides vary with circadian phase in both young and older people.” He holds a Ph.D. from Stanford University.
INTERMITTENT FASTING & METABOLIC HEALTH
Dr. Jason Fung
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Jason Fung is a nephrologist and is known as a pioneer in intermittent fasting in a clinical setting. His specialty is in intermittent fasting and low carb, especially for treating people with type 2 diabetes. He founded the Intensive Dietary Management Program for type 2 diabetes and obesity.
- Institution and/or business: Dr. Jason Fung is the site chief of medicine at Scarborough General Hospital and the scientific editor of the Journal of Insulin Resistance. He also practices as a kidney specialist in Toronto.
- Related research and Qualifications: His best-selling book is titled “The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss.” He graduated from the University of Toronto.
Dr. Stephen Anton
- Expertise in fasting: Dr. Stephen Anton is a leading authority in intermittent fasting with experience in the field of obesity, metabolism, and aging for the past 20 years.
- Institution and/or business: He is an Assistant Professor and Chief of Clinical Research at the Department of Aging and Geriatric Research and Department of Clinical and Health Psychology at the University of Florida.
- Related research and Qualifications: His research work includes “Practicality of Intermittent Fasting in Humans and its Effect on Oxidative Stress and Genes Related to Aging and Metabolism.” and “Flipping the Metabolic Switch: Understanding and Applying Health Benefits of Fasting.” He completed his doctoral degree in Clinical and Health Psychology at the University of Florida and his post-doctoral fellowship at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center.