Digital transformation involves developing new digital business processes and models that give a company a competitive advantage, a better decision-making model, and excellent customer service. According to Havard Business Review, 84% of executives agree that digital transformation has brought organizations new opportunities.
- The availability of digital technologies has enabled radical methods to deliver value to customers, improving competitive landscapes and market economics.
- The four types of digital transformations are business model, business process, domain, and cultural/organizational. The majority of companies focus on corporate and process transformation only.
- Informatica helps organizations with digital transformation in enterprise data management, analytics, data catalog, data governance, and “visibility offerings.” Informatica thrives on three pillars; customer-centricity, innovation, and people-focus. During the Covid-19 pandemic, Informatica has focused on ensuring people are safe and can work remotely from home.
- Informatica is also focused on helping customers in the public sector, healthcare sectors, and governments leverage data. The company digital transformation efforts are focused on accelerating the cloud migration journey for clients, using the “cloud-native cloud-first” strategy.
- Informatica has also incorporated AI to manage the complexity of big data and improve customer experience on digital platforms. The company believes that customers should experience both the business and technical value of digital transformation.
- Digital transformation is a business opportunity for Informatica, leveraging analytics, and “creating new business models” that are data-oriented. The transformation also poses a threat to the company from competitors with new business models.
- The Informatica IDP (Intelligent Data Platform) was developed to solve customers’ digital transformation across hybrid enterprises. IDP platform can be used on-premises or in the cloud and allows the users to scale from small projects and grow at their own pace.
- The IDP is “AI-driven” and runs on the CLAIRE engine, which provides process automation and has in-built intelligence. Informatica digital transformation is focused on providing governance and management of data from IoT to mainframes at reliable speeds.
- Amit Walia, CEO Informatica, stated that the Covid-19 pandemic has accelerated the need for digital transformation as businesses now seek to increase automation, productivity, agility, and flexibility. In his statement, he emphasized the need for companies to create new customer engagement models, new services and products, implement new business models, and new operating models.
- Amit further stated that over 80% of business workloads are expected to run in the cloud in 2020 and that digital transformations need to be strategic to succeed. Informatica describes its IDP platform as the “soul” of digital transformation, characterized as Data 4.0.
- According to VMWare, a business needs to develop and transition its business mobility, data security, cloud infrastructure, customer service, customer engagement, and its ability to adapt to change to succeed at digital transformation.
- The focus of VMWare is to accelerate business innovation and agility, building customer trust, protecting the digital brand, delivering good mobile experiences, integrate public cloud, transform security, modernize data centers, and to empower digital workspaces.
- As a success testimonial, AmBank Group IT used VMWare’s technology, and according to Charles Tan, CIO AmBank Group, the technology has enabled the bank to “accelerate its businesses.” The VMWare technology provisions IT services through a software-defined data center, making the bank digital and delivering “next-gen banking services.”
- Equinix has partnered with VMWare to enable organizations to speed up digital transformations. VMWare will provide its SD-WAN Edge on “Equinix’s Network Edge” as a virtual network.
- VMWare is focused on expanding its nonprofit digital transformation. To advance nonprofit organizations’ digital transformation, VMWare is investing in the nonprofits organizations’ digital journey via “sector-wide resources,” increasing accessibility to VMWare solutions to progress digital maturity, and offering pro bono service-learning to the firms.
- In the annual report 2019, Pat Gelsinger, CEO VMWare, states that its IT has integrated all VMWare solutions to their own operations for testing, validating, and scaling databases. VMWare IT ensures that users experience agility, productivity, resilience, and security requirements. In his statement, he commends the VMWare IT team for the digital transformation efforts saying that he is “proud.”
- Digital transformation is a continuous process that involves innovations and technologies and incorporates culture, technology, and business processes. Redhat is focused on providing its clients with open technology, open processes, and open culture.
- Open technology comprises automation, hybrid & cloud infrastructure, and app development, while open processes are procedures like DevOps that ensures product agility and continuity.
- Jim Whitehurst, President and CEO Redhat, states that businesses require new organizational models, principles, and dynamics to solve contemporary business problems. Whitehurst encourages leaders to think of digital transformation on utilizing data, structure teams, approach failure, and set goals.
- Redhat’s Hadoop uses open-sourced technology. Redhat worked with Condis to design and implement micro-services that were based on Redhat’s Kubernetes and oracle databases.
- According to Jim Whitehurst, large companies see digital transformation as a threat as it involves “retooling the capabilities” of enterprises.
- Third-party platform technologies like mobility, cloud, big data analytics, and social media drive digital transformation. Oracle is focused on providing cloud development, digital-connect services, digital security, and digital engagements. Oracles’ cloud services in digital transformation are implemented to save costs, accelerate growth, and promote employee and customer satisfaction.
- Oracle offers supply chain transformation on its Oracle Supply Chain Cloud platform (OSC), sales transformation on Oracle CX Cloud platform, human resource transformation on Oracle HCM Cloud platform, and marketing transformation on Oracle Marketing Cloud platform.
- Safra Catz, CEO Oracle, stated that customer expectations and innovation drive digital transformation. During the Oracle OpenWorld 2016, Catz said that “It’s critical to simplify and run the business in such a way that resources are released to invest in your main business.”
- Digital transformation enables an organization to gain a better understanding of the business environment and customers’ needs. Catz stated that Oracle is focused on using digital transformation to simplify its processes, empower employees, and improve the consumer experience.
- Oracle’s cloud technologies, mobile, social, and analytics are designed to work together to help organizations develop their digital strategy forward.
5. Data Bottlenecks
- Data bottleneck can lead to slow performance of a system or server. “Bottleneck” is used to refer to an overloaded network in the IT industry. The term bottleneck is also used when a computing device component is slower than the rest of the system, resulting in slow performance.
- The common performance bottlenecks are CPU utilization, memory utilization, network utilization, software limitation, and disk usage.
- When developing predictive analytics solutions, engineers need to recognize the challenges to process big data and the scalability of performance. Data sample size could fluctuate at various project stages, which could lead to a data bottleneck. Data processing solutions need to be scalable, depending on the project demands and data volume.
- AI bottleneck occurs when applications collect and manage significant data volumes than the system allows. Collecting huge data volumes needs a high computing power and big storage infrastructure.
- According to the MITTR/Pure Storage survey, 78% of respondents have difficulty interpreting, analyzing, and digesting “volumes of data at scale.” In comparison, 43% stated that data infrastructure is the main barrier to AI adoption.
- Data bottlenecks are problematic for organizations that offer real-time business services. Digital transformation is expected to increase productivity in manufacturing industries, which collects large volumes of real-time data. Data bottleneck is a potential challenge in the real-time machine data processing.
- The term data bottleneck is used in verticals that use technology solutions to process data. Such verticals include the logistics supply chains, database management, network infrastructure, big data analytics, and process manufacturing.