With a basis on viewership, the most popular year in review video content producers for recent years include VOX, The Daily Show, YouTube, and GoPro. These companies/brands have been consistently releasing year in review content over the last few years that received millions of views on YouTube. For instance, VOX’s 2019 year in review video has already gathered over 3.5 million views while YouTube’s YouTube Rewind 2019 currently has over 107 million views. A detailed analysis of the research findings follows below.
- VOX’s year in review video content has been getting a lot of attention over the years.
- On YouTube, the news company’s 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 iterations have so far received 5.7 million, 4.3 million, 2.9 million, and 3.5 million views respectively.
- In 2019, VOX’s year in review video featured the top news stories of the year from across all categories including technology, music, politics, film, sports, immigration, natural disasters, and climate change.
- VOX has not put out any communication about its 2020 year in review video. However, because of the company’s consistency over the years, it is expected that VOX will create a year in review video for 2020.
2. The Daily Show
- The Daily Show is a political commentary show that is hosted by Trevor Noah. The show has been releasing year in review video content consistently over the years.
- The show’s year in review videos for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 have managed to gather a total of 1.7 million, 522,204, 2.3 million, and 3.4 million views respectively.
- In 2019, the Daily Show’s year in review video which was titled “2019 Was Stupid” presented snippets of the top news stories of the year in a funny and comical yet informative manner.
- Like VOX, The Daily Show has not put out any communication on its 2020 year in review video plans. However, the company’s consistency points to another iteration for 2020 coming at the end of the year.
- The YouTube Rewind series is arguably the most viewed year in review video series in the world.
- Recent iterations for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 have so far received 238 million, 235 million, 206 million, and 107 million views respectively.
- YouTube can be considered the largest curator of pop culture video content in the world because it provides a platform for people to express themselves creatively.
- YouTube Rewind 2019 featured some of the platform’s most popular pop culture video content of 2019.
- YouTube has not put out any public communications in regard to its 2020 year in review plans. However, the consistency of recent years again points to a possibility of the 2020 iteration coming at the end of the year.
- Over the last couple of years, GoPro has been consistently producing year in review video content.
- So far, the company has produced year in review content for the years 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. These videos currently have a YouTube viewership of 6.9 million, 3.4 million, 1.5 million, 4.3 million, and 748,000 views respectively.
- GoPro’s 2019 year in review video features a mix of personal stories that are submissions from the users of the company’s cameras. The videos showcase a wide range of activities including extreme sports, dance, wildlife, outdoor recreational activities, food, and music.
- GoPro has not published any comments on its 2020 year in review plans. However, from the consistency seen over the years, the company will most likely put out similar content at the end of the year.
We started research by identifying video viewership as the best metric of judging the popularity of the year in review videos that had the potential of meeting the research requirements. Next, we identified the top U.S. companies/brands in the three categories that have been consistently producing year in review video content, i.e. news – CNN, TIME, and VOX; political commentary – The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, The Late Late Show with James Corden, and Late Night with Seth Meyers; and pop culture – YouTube, Facebook, and E! News. Finally, after going through the recent year in review videos from each of the identified companies/brands, we managed to identify the most popular by viewership.