Some trend predictions on the use of voice technologies that are expected to become the “new normal” at work/industry, home, and school by 2025 include the use of digital voice assistants at workplaces, smart home digital assistants, use of voice-operated alarms, and adoption of voice assistants in schools.
Predicted trends on the use of voice technologies at work/industry
Trend 1: Use of digital voice assistants at the workplace
- The use of digital voice assistants will be the new normal at workplaces as voice assistants could serve as receptionists in the office environment, booking meeting rooms, or on-boarding new recruits.
- Voice assistants will become common at workplaces due to rising investments in digital transformation, and applications of the technology are continuing to permeate business operations.
- Some tasks at workplaces like taking notes and scheduling will be handled by the voice assistants, and humans will take on new responsibilities like ensuring optimal performance.
- By 2022, it is even expected that voice assistants will even be able to differentiate between voices and assign responsibilities accordingly.
- A report from Gartner expects 25% of digital workers to be using AI voice assistants by 2022, and reportedly urged businesses to begin developing skills in their deployment, management, and security.
Trend 2: Hyper-personalization in the travel industry
- The use of voice technology in the travel industry is growing due to hyper-personalization through the implementation of voice-controlled smart hubs in hotel rooms, enabling customers to adjust various room features like air conditioning, lighting, among others.
- Voice technology in the travel industry is also enabling high quality and multi-lingual interactions as travel agents can use voice recognition to overcome language barriers in the form of different languages, accents, and dialects.
- There is also a rising demand for using voice assistance among people for finding things a lot faster since more customers are switching from typed-in searches to voice interactions.
- Some voice control technologies used in the travel industry include KLM’s Smart Pack Assistant on Google Home and Expedia skill for Amazon Alexa.
- Travel technology market reports suggest that the global travel technology market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.6% during 2020-2025.
Predicted trends on the use of voice technologies at home
Trend 1: Smart home digital assistant
- The use of voice technologies at home is increasing as it offers more individualized experiences as they get better at differentiating between voices.
- Manufacturers of consumer electronics are increasingly adopting voice assistants to differentiate their products and attract customers to their platforms by providing a smarter experience by integrating Google Assistants and Amazon Alexa within their connected appliances.
- Households in the United States are rapidly adopting the digital voice assistants, voice-based, and voice control technologies have experienced a strong uptick in the consumer electronics segment.
- According to the “Smart Home Digital Assistant (Voice) Market” report, by 2025, home appliance manufacturers are expected to embed voice for numerous range of appliances such as smart wall ovens, smart fridges, smart coffee machines, and robotic vacuum cleaners.
Trend 2: Voice operated alarms
- Increasing demand for voice-enabled alarm systems at homes/residential places is driving the growth in the voice recognition technologies market.
- Some home assistants developed by Amazon, Google, among others, are offering a voice-command option, allowing customers to operate to arm and disarm their alarm systems.
- In the coming years, alarm manufacturers could attempt to acquire companies that specialize in voice recognition software or partner with providers of these products for the quick introduction of advanced voice features.
- According to the “Intruder Alarms & Monitoring Services” market report, the market share of voice-operated alarm systems is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate of 7% from 2017 through 2022.
Predicted trends on the use of voice technologies at school
Trend 1: Adoption of voice assistants
- Currently, educators are making greater use of Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple Siri, among other voice assistants in the classroom environment for providing students a chance to interact with educational material without the interaction of the teacher.
- Educators are using these to provide conversational interaction with teaching material and additional educational assistance. Also, AI-powered voice assistants can enhance learning and also help teachers to manage the classroom.
- The use of voice assistants will reduce the need for internal support and decreases the cost of wasteful college handbook printing by answering common questions about education needs as well as be customized for each student’s particular schedule.
- eLearning industry reports suggest that by 2024 upwards of 47% of learning management tools will be enabled by AI capabilities, including the adoption of voice assistants.
Trend 2: Voice cloning
- The voice cloning solutions segment has observed a significant growth in recent years due to the rising implementation of cloned voice services in education.
- By using voice cloning technology, users can turn any written material into an audio file, which can then be download and added to videos or slides to create lessons with significantly less effort.
- More than 45,000 voice cloning projects have been completed by Voice.com’s voice actors for North America’s educational institutions.
- In April 2020, Lovo Inc. launched a human-like voice-over platform designed primarily for education and other audio content.
- According to the global eLearning market report, the eLearning market is expected to reach a staggering total market value of $325 billion by 2025. One of the key factors driving this market is the voice cloning solutions segment.