Geely’s EV models currently on sale include Geometry A, Emgrand EV500, Emgrand GSe Cross LR, Geometry C, Emgrand GL PHEV, Jia-Ji PHEV MPV, Bin Yue Battle PHEV, Xing Yue Star T400 80km, and Borui GE. It recently launched its EV platform, Sustainable Experience Architecture (SEA), on September 23, 2020.
EV Models Currently Sold
Pure EV Models
- Geometry A – announced on April 11, 2019
- Emgrand EV500 – launched in December 2015
- Emgrand GSe Cross LR – launched on June 9, 2018
- Geometry C – launched on August 7, 2020
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Models
- On April 1, 2019, Geely announced plans to launch Emgrand GL PHEV.
- Jia-Ji PHEV MPV – launched on March 11, 2019
- Bin Yue Battle PHEV – launched on May 28, 2019
- Xing Yue Star T400 80km – launched on May 10, 2019
- Borui GE – launched on April 9, 2018
EV Models That They Have Announced They Will Sell
- Based on Geely’s most recent annual report and press releases, the company has not named any upcoming EV models. However, on April 11, 2019, it announced its commitment to “launch 10 pure electric models in multiple segments, including sedans, SUVs, crossovers, and MPVs” by 2025. Among these is Geometry C, which has been released in 2020.
Partnerships with Battery Manufacturers
- On December 20, 2018, Geely announced its partnership with Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) to produce and develop EV batteries. The joint venture is called CATL Geely Power Battery.
- On June 12, 2019, Geely’s Shanghai Maple Guorun announced a new joint venture partnership with South Korean EV battery manufacturer, LG Chem.
Advancements Made in Battery Technology
- The joint venture CATL Geely Power Battery was founded to accelerate the development of lithium-ion batteries and improve battery design. It not clear what advancements have emerged from the joint venture as Geely’s latest annual report and press releases on its website do not provide an update on advancements made via this joint venture. However, in a statement on September 23, 2020, the company announced that its new open-source EV platform would feature “CATL’s battery technology that lasts 2 million kilometers.”
EV Platform Release
- Geely launched its EV platform, Sustainable Experience Architecture (SEA), on September 23, 2020.
Collaborations With Other Auto OEMs
- In 2016, The Geely Holding Group and Volvo Car Corporation, which is majority-owned by Geely Holding, formed Lynk&Co, a joint-venture brand targeting the global premium market.
- Geely and Mercedes-Benz formed a 50:50 joint venture called Smart Automobile on January 08, 2020. Smart Automobile will build the next generation of smart EV models. Note that Geely holds a 9.69% stake in Mercedes owner, Daimler, and is the company’s largest equity stakeholder.