The global laptop market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 0.4% between 2018 and 2025, going from $102.1 billion in 2018 to $108.91 billion in 2020, or from 162.6 million to 174.3 million units. The global PC market is forecast to decline from 262.5 million unit shipments in 2019 to 221.8 million in 2025, though the pandemic may yet boost the sales. In the US, the laptop and tablet segment is forecast to reach $22.1 billion in 2020 and grow at a CAGR of 2.1% until 2025. The US PC market size was 55.37 million unit shipments in 2018, compared to 56.44 million in 2019. The information on the global PC market size by revenue and the growth of the US market size by unit was not publicly available. At the same time, there was not enough data to attempt triangulations. The research strategy includes detailed information on how we attempted to find those figures, as well as why some data points have an expanded scope.
The Global Laptop Market
- 161 million laptop units were shipped worldwide in 2017, the last year for which the data is available.
- According to Fortunly, laptop unit shipments are projected to rise at a CAGR of 1% between 2017 and 2025.
- Using a reverse CAGR calculator, we can estimate that laptop unit shipments will reach 174.3 million by 2025.
- Also, using the same tool, we can estimate that there were around 162.6 million unit shipments in 2018.
- According to the free preview of the report by Grand View Research, the global laptop market size will reach $108.91 billion by 2025, going from $101.7 billion in 2017.
- The market was forecast to grow at a CAGR of 0.4% between 2017 and 2025.
- Using a reverse CAGR calculator, we can estimate that the market size was approximately $102.1 billion in 2018.
- Another report by Expert Market Research states that the market size was around $103 billion in 2019. The predicted CAGR for the years 2020-2025 is 0.5%.
The Global PC Market
- The unit PC shipments are forecast to decline from 262.5 million in 2019 to 221.8 million in 2025, which is confirmed by multiple reports.
- The predicted CAGR for 2019-2025 is -2.8%.
- It is worth noting that some experts have a more positive outlook, believing that the market will grow due to the pandemic. For example, Yang Yuanqing, the CEO of Lenovo, thinks that the total addressable market for PCs will expand by 25-30% in the next two to three years, as more companies and educational institutions will be switching to remote work.
- Additionally, the reports cited above are from 2019. It is possible that the current predictions would be more optimistic, since unit shipments grew by 1.7%, increasing for the first time since 2011.
By Revenue – Helpful Findings
- While the total market size by revenue was not provided, it was stated that sales of PCs grew for the first time in a decade in 2019. Gartner reported 0.6% growth, while IDC, 2.7% growth.
The US Laptop Market
- The 2020 market size of the US laptop and tablet market is $22.1 billion.
- The market is expected to grow annually by 2.1% between 2020 and 2025, reaching $24.5 billion in 2025.
- In 2018, the market size was $25.2 billion.
- Using a CAGR calculator, we can estimate that the forecast CAGR for 2018-2025 is -0.4%.
- The above predictions are recent and factor in the impact of the pandemic.
- In 2018, the laptop and tablet market size was 42.6 million units.
- The predicted 2025 market size is 41.43 million units.
- Therefore, the forecast CAGR for 2018-2025 is -0.4%.
- However, the market is expected to grow between 2020 and 2025. The 2020 market size is 37.19 units.
The US PC Market
- In 2018, there were 55.37 million PC unit shipments in the US.
- To arrive at the figure, we summed up quarterly data for 2018. There were 11.77 million shipments in Q1, 14.56 million in Q2, 14.86 million in Q3, and 14.18 million in Q4.
- In 2019, there were 56.44 million shipments.
- Also, in the first three quarters of 2020, there were 42.86 million shipments, compared to 40.56 million in the first three quarters of 2019, and 41.19 million in Q1-Q32018.
- Unfortunately, the projections until 2025 are not available.
- Based on the results from the first three quarters, the CAGR for 2018-2020 is 2.01%.
- It is estimated that the US desktop PC sales will be $7.56 billion in 2020. They are forecast to reach $8.27 billion by 2024.
- The chart from Statista includes data for the years 2018-2020. However, it is paywalled, which is why we could only access data for 2020 and 2024.
- Using a CAGR calculator, we can estimate that the forecast CAGR for the years 2020-2024 is 2.27%.
- The sales of mobile PCs are expected to total $30.55 billion in 2020. While the forecast figures are behind a paywall, it is noted that the segment is expected to grow faster than the desktop PC one.
- Therefore, the combined revenue of mobile and desktop PCs in 2020 in the US is expected to reach $38.11 billion.