Examples of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) companies that offer solutions for new use cases include Slack and Hootsuite. Slack was founded in 2009 while Hootsuite was founded in 2008.
Case Study #1: Slack
- Slack is a collaboration hub that “brings the right people, information, and tools together to get work done”. Its application offers organized chats, video and voice calls, integration with other tools for file sharing, and searchable history.
- Slack was founded in 2009 with headquarters in San Francisco, California, and other offices in New York, Chicago, Denver, Toronto, and Vancouver.
- The company’s revenue in 2019 was $400 million.
- The estimated number of Slack employees is 2,045.
- According to the company, Slack was created as an internal tool to help employees to “stay on the same page, to be able to easily access conversations, decisions, data, and content that had been shared, and to tap into a variety of software applications from one place”.
- According to Stratechery, Slack offered a solution for a “completely new use case“. This is because, unlike email which also offers communication in an organization, most of the Slack activities occur in “team-based channels, rather than in individual inboxes”.
- A permanent record of related conversations, data, documents, and application workflows for a project or subject are offered on channels. New users/employees can benefit from historical information.
- Slack is also designed to integrate with external software systems and internally-developed software. The company was also developing low-code solutions for users to create integration on Slack.
Case Study #2: Hootsuite
- Hootsuite offers social media automation to small and large companies. Its platform allows users to “automate social media content publishing, measure the effectiveness of social media outreach and campaigns, grow online fans and generate new leads with campaigns and contests deployed across multiple platforms and networks, and manage social media efforts”.
- Hootsuite was founded in 2008 with headquarters in Vancouver and other offices in New York, Toronto, Bucharest, Sydney, Rome, Milan, Paris, and Hamburg.
- The company’s estimated revenue is $210 million.
- The estimated number of Hootsuite employees is 1,430.
- According to Hootsuite, the platform was developed when the company’s CEO and founder Ryan Holmes saw a need for a platform to manage social media accounts of clients. At the time Hootsuite was running “social media accounts for a lot of brands, and it was a struggle to keep track of all the log-ins across all of their social media accounts”.
- According to the company, they looked for a product in the market that was able to keep track of log-ins across all social media accounts but there was none. Hootsuite then developed a “cloud-based tool for desktop users to manage all their social accounts from a single dashboard”.
Case Study #3: Bizzabo
- Bizzabo is a solution that combines all event operations into an innovative platform. It allows for event registration, communication with attendees, creation of an event website, audience engagement, features for sponsors and tracking event performance. All these tools enable users to create rewarding events.
- Bizzabo has 136 employees and an estimated annual revenue of $19.7 million.
- Bizzabo claims that they provide “the only event success software on the market.” While most event organizers use platforms that are simply online ticketing systems, Bizzabo provides comprehensive event management solutions. It incorporates attendee registration and engagement, event promotion, social networking, ticket sales, correspondence and platform integration. In comparison to legacy event software, Bizzabo offers personalization at scale, faster realization of value, and enhanced customer experience.
Case Study #4: Bizzabo
- Dropbox provides users with a smart workspace, where teams can bring their content and files together in one place. It connects all content and tools used for work to avoid switching between content types, apps and platforms; and connects all the people associated with a project or file so that they can communicate in one place, instead of across different channels. Moreover, it uses machine intelligence to identify the content needed for a particular purpose, for example a meeting or a document.
- Dropbox generated $1.7 billion in revenues in 2019. In the same year, it had 2,801 employees.
- Dropbox claims that they provide “the world’s first smart workspace“. Their innovative software provides the ability to share files and photos without the need for a USB drive, and it was the first to replace pen drives and USB drives forever. It gives teams the ability to collaborate at any time and from wherever they are. It also helps people to stay focused, unlike other productivity tools which are usually disruptive.